GuitaristsScarecrowPicnic in the churchyard

About the village

The Parish of the Church of St. Mary the Virgin, in Pillerton Hersey, is typical of rural South Warwickshire and serves both villages of Pillerton Priors and Pillerton Hersey; known collectively as “The Pillertons”.

Pillerton Priors is 7 miles South of Stratford upon Avon on the A422 Banbury road at the Junction with the road to Kineton (B4451). Pillerton Hersey is on this road, a mile east of Pillerton Priors.

The two villages were combined into a single Parish in 1666, when the Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Pillerton Priors was destroyed by fire (supposedly started by a spark that had blown up here from the Great Fire of London!) The Church was never rebuilt but the churchyard is still consecrated ground and an "open air" service is held every year on the Sunday closest to the Patronal Festival - July 22nd.

Viewed from the Kineton Road, Pillerton Hersey seems to "nestle" in a shallow valley, with the tower of the church protruding from the trees and clustered round with houses; although, in reality, the Church of St. Mary the Virgin is more on the edge of the village. The Church dates from the 13th century and is made of local stone. There are three bells in the tower: the treble dated 1668, the second 1672 and the tenor 1602. On the inside, there is a stone floor, wooden pews and a beautifully carved wooden ceiling.

Outside, there is a grassed church yard that is maintained by village residents. There is enough room for approximately 10 cars to park outside the gate. There is a new toilet facility which is suitable for the disabled. Plans are underway to create a small kitchen facility in the near future.

Services in The Pillertons

The Church of St. Mary the Virgin

The next services in the Pillertons are listed below. To see the full calendar of services in the Pillertons, click here.