About the village
The village of Ettington is believed to date back to Saxon times and was also a Roman encampment at some time in the past, its position next to the Fosse way (an old Roman road) would give credence to this.
The Shirley Family go a long way back in Ettington's history and were recorded as Lords of the Manor in the Domesday Book. The Quaker meeting house, built in 1684, is still in use today and the mention of a Parish Priest in the Domesday Book indicates that the old Holy trinity Church, now a residential property, existed at this time.
Dr William Croft, composer of sacred music and later the organist at Westminster Abbey was born in Ettington in 1677. Though in those days the village was known as 'Eatington' and this name is still used on some maps.
The village now has a thriving post office, school, preschool, church and Community Centre- these buildings are the main focus of community in the village and the many and varied community groups work very well together to maintain a strong sense of community cohesion.
Services in Ettington
Holy Trinity and St. Thomas of Canterbury
The next services at Ettington Church are listed below. To see the full calendar of services in Ettington, click here.